Cesar's Website

clarragainstitution.blogspot.com

Monday, October 18, 2010

Status of Research

Well so far things are going pretty good. I've conducted research on several programs that I will try to come into contact with. I will ask for advise on our to conduct and control my project. What I have in mind so far is that I want to incorporate this project with our school. I realize that we already have some kind of tutoring program during the school year but I was thinking about having a summer program where our fellow Chinquapinians would volunteer to tutor and counsel other students. I want it to be a kind of Big Brother, Big Sister program. I've looked into their website http://www.bbbsfl.org/ and found out that their volunteers "must live or work in Hillsborough, Polk, or Pasco County." I know that there are many people who are willing to volunteer for this program but are unable to due to the fact that they are not members of Hillsborough, Polk or Pasco County. I don't like that there are restrictions on volunteering for this program so I would like to expand my summer program for anyone who would like to help once it's functioning properly. http://www.childrensboard.org/ and http://www.americaspromise.org/ are other websites that help me in this developing program. They act as a sort of boundary for what my program should include and what it shouldn't have. They are other organizations that I hope to come into contact with. Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson is a book that was requested to me that I plan to read. I already found a website that gives me 299 of the 332 pages so I am extremely thankful that I found this site. http://books.google.com/books?id=HbezCyqr3q0C&printsec=frontcover&dq=three+cups+of+tea&source=bl&ots=mW3GMf1vfU&sig=boh_bkMuDu89f4WgOGMwZ6dMt3w&hl=en&ei=WxO8TKL5LsGclgfBo_WZDQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=5&ved=0CFUQ6AEwBA#v=onepage&q&f=false this is the site if anyone would like to read it. It is about Greg Mortenson's journey to build schools in Pakistan and Afghanistan where they are failing many students to recruit them into madrassas. It describes his difficulties and struggles in these dangerous parts of these countries. After I read this book I hope to have a better understanding of what it is like to create this program. I also hope to become even more inspired for creating this program.

3 comments:

  1. Bobby,

    I think you've ctually done more research than I based on the information you've found on the web and outside. I remember telling you about Kathy Heinzerling and how she's the main person who coordinates the Breakthrough - I think you could talk to her and get some feedback from her about where to start with your " Summer Mentor Program". She's very organized when it comes to these things, and she has for the past couple of years been in charge of the Chinquapin Mentor Program.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Chinquapin tutoring system is not as effective as we would like it to be. Is there some way you could remedy this?

    How would your tutors be trained? Would the student tutors be at Chinquapin over the summer? Who would need tutoring at that time?

    Does it help Greg Mortenson's foundation if everyone reads his book for free? Is this presentation of the book done so with permission?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Big Brother Big Sister is a national organization. Talk to Molly? I think she was involved with them in some way.

    ReplyDelete