Cesar's Website

clarragainstitution.blogspot.com

Saturday, October 2, 2010

One Word: Inspirational

Well as you can tell from the title, this TED talk by Dave Eggers is very inspiring to me. This video to me was the ideal inspiration I needed to conduct my project. I like this idea of "one-on-one attention." I have realized that there are a lot of people who need tutoring and this "one-on-one attention" may be a problem. If I can create this community service project that Susan has brought to my attention, then the "one-on-one attention" will probable be successful. Well going back to the TED talk, it talks about how Dave Eggers and his companions had trouble bringing in the kids to tutor because of "trust issues." I didn't take into account about "trust issues" prior to watching this video but now it has made me think of ways to create a child-friendly area. Does anyone have any thoughts of how to do this?
Another reason why this TED talk is inspirational is because if the factual truth it has in it. Dave Eggers has the right thinking and is trying to spread his thinking to anyone who is willing to absorb the truth. He says that the children do not realize how good they are and how smart they are. They need people to tell them how and show them how things are done, listen to them and guide them to a better education. He says that we "can shine that light on them one human interaction at a time"

2 comments:

  1. Rob, I like the new idea of your tutoring and at first when I read your basic theme of helping kids, I didn't think of trust being an issue. After hearing about your experience with the TED talk video, I realized that trust is a crucial necessity for receiving help and guidance. I like your analysis of the video and I didn't even have to watch it because you hit every point it made through a preview. Though I like your ideas for your project, I think you should elaborate on your explanation to how you will partner up with a school because I don't think a school would let you jump right in and be a tutor or a sort of mentor. Overall though, I like it and if I would of had "one-on-one" help, I think I would've been better off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that its really interesting that you chose the same TED talk as I did. I chose it because of the mural, but as I was watching it I though it was very interesting seeing Dave Eggers' point of view towards education.

    I also agree with Nick that you have to narrow down your idea (something I am struggling with too). How would your teaching be different from the one in a classroom? Like how you you make it easier for the students to learn rather than the usual lecture, lecture, test? And have you thought of any particular design for your tutoring place? Because what I found really interesting was that Eggers had a unique way of designing his location to where it made it not look like a classroom.

    Good Luck to you! And I can't wait to hear more about it!

    ReplyDelete