Cesar's Website

clarragainstitution.blogspot.com

Monday, October 25, 2010

Narrowed Down

I think I've pretty much narrowed down my project. It wasn't easy but with the help of some people I did it. I want to create a Chinquapin summer program where students will volunteer to tutor and counsel other kids throughout the U.S. It will be like a Big Brother, Big Sister program for where the Chinquapin students will be the "Big Brothers/Sisters. After talking to Lorena about my project, she informed me that Kathy Heinzerling was one of the main people who coordinated Breakthough and that I should talk to her about giving me advice on where to start on this project.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, talking to Kathy H. is a good idea. But you need to think through how your program might be different from Breakthrough or Big Brother, Big Sister. And you need to think about who you could partner with for this.

    I have an idea:
    (1) You could follow the model of the $100 laptop program -- people by 2 laptops, get one for themselves and the third goes to someone in need somewhere that does not have them. What if you found some tutors who charge say $75 to $100 an hour to wealthy parents and ask the tutors to do a two-fer, one hour of tutoring for the parents who can afford it and one hour of tutoring for someone who can't afford it (the parent pays, say, $150 for both). The tutor or the parent gets a tax write off for the donation. You would just need a place to deliver the tutoring. I may have a contact for you who is a tutor at my husband's school.

    What do you think?

    What is Cesar doing on this project -- he is mostly writing about what you are doing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is an interesting idea. I'm not sure if i can get "wealthy parents" to pay extra for other children to be tutored. But I understand what you're trying to tell me about how my program has to be distinctive. I think I will give it a try. I want to take a risk to make my project as good as it can be. I would really appreciate the contact information of this tutor.

    ReplyDelete