Cesar's Website

clarragainstitution.blogspot.com

Friday, February 11, 2011

New Ideas

Originally, we planned to create a summer program here at Chinquapin to tutor those who fail to get accepted into this school due to their prior education. Most of the time it isn't that they are dumb; instead, it is a lack of care that they are given from their teachers. it seems, nowadays most public teachers aren't concerned with whether or not the children absorb the information. I feel like I have a responsibility to lend them a hand because I know how hard it is to ask for help. I want to make the first move to show them that I really care about them. I thought the best way to do this was through the summer program. My part was to recruit the students, while Cesar was going to get student-teachers. We talked to Ray about hosting the program here at Chinquapin. He said it was a great idea and that we just needed to talk to the residence since this is their home during the summer. Initially, we had our intentions set on this program. Then, one day Susan approached me and asked me to tell her exactly what we had done so far and what we need to do. After telling her, she told me that it is more difficult that just putting an assignment together and expecting them to learn it. We had to know what knowledge they had, their weaknesses, and how to create a curriculum. We had to piece all of this together before starting the program. After talking to her, I felt that this project was more difficult than I imagined. I also felt as if this program was less reasonable to reach.

Several days later, Susan came up to me and told me that she had a new idea for our project. We scheduled a meeting and talked about tutoring online. I did research about it, so I knew what she was talking about. While researching, I noticed that there may be less comfort. I figured upfront tutoring would benefit them by being able to absorb and build a bond of trust. She brought to my attention that a upfront tutoring can be gained after a while of online tutoring. They can build comfort gradually and then meet. She talked to us about an online tutoring website called wiziq. Susan, Cesar and I now all have an account and we explored it a bit. It was really interesting. We plan on getting all the alumni to contribute at least two days or so out of the week. They would only need to spend about 2 hours tutoring. We plan on starting off with students here at Chinquapin who need the tutoring. This is a more reasonable goal and will last "perpetually." (as Susan put it)

2 comments:

  1. I think that upfront tutoring would be a lot more helpful. Personally being a visual learner I like to be able to see in front of me what is being taught to me. I know that the online tutoring would be webcam friendly, but then how would you do it when you wanted to do some sort of activity where students had to be present, or what if the students don't have webcams?

    I do agree with Susan and think that you should begin with Chinquapin students. You already know them and transportation would be easy if you tutor them during summer session and they can ride that bus.

    Good luck to you guys! Can't wait to hear more about the tutoring program!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that by starting out your program by tutoring online and then maybe changing to in person tutoring, it would be a smoothet transition.The person being tutored would feel more at easy if they go through this transition.

    ReplyDelete