Cesar's Website

clarragainstitution.blogspot.com

Monday, August 30, 2010

A Tutoring Partnership

I initially wanted to create a facility where disadvantaged children could come to get tutored and counseled. Now, Susan has brought to my attention that creating a facility would be a different path to this project. It would seem as if my focus was creating the facility so instead I am going to find a way to make a partnership with an existing organization. I'm thinking about making this partnership with a high school. I'm not quite sure which high school exactly but I am going to narrow it down to a high school that I believe is in major need of guidance academically and emotionally. I realize that it is difficult to concentrate on anything if you are stressing. While I was attending public schools I was exposed to an extreme lack of care from the teachers compared to Chinquapin. I realize that life here at Chinquapin is a lot easier because we are have a great bond with the teachers. Because of this bond, we are guided in to academic and emotional relief, in some sense. I want other students who are willing to give it their all to have the same benefits.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Robert, I think this is a great idea. Are you personally planning on tutoring, or are you going to try to get other Chinquapinians or people from outside of school to help out? What ages or grade levels do you wish to reach out to? A lot of parents are interested in a good tutor for their kids so maybe you should talk to a few parents and see what kind of programs are best for the students and parents alike. This is a great idea to start with. Just be specific about who your going to help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, in a way, you want to take the Chinquapin "brand" on the road? Do you think you could create a community service program that could spread the Chinquapin caring + teaching idea?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I appreciate your questioning, Susan. It has caused me to "dig even deeper" into my thought process over this project. I'll think about a way to create this community service project.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Copeland, thank you for your insight. I appreciate your comment because it has made me think more about specifying my project. At this moment I haven't narrowed down if either I'm going to tutor them personally or if I'll get people from out of school. I would really like to tutor them personally but I realize that it will be very time consuming and a big commitment. If I find a way to do this I would personally tutor them. I am thinking about reaching out to 6 to 11 graders. What do you think about that? Do you have any thought about what grades I should tutor?

    ReplyDelete